Handling professional conduct complaints against doctors
Monday, 29 June 2015
Avant assists doctors in responding to patient complaints throughout Australia.
There are key features that Avant believes a regulatory complaints system should have to further engender the confidence of medical practitioners and consumers alike.
Download a copy of the complaints handling position paper
- a nationally consistent approach to complaints handling, not only in terms of process but also in terms of outcomes
- a responsive, risk-based approach to managing complaints against medical practitioners
- effective, fair and transparent management of complaints including:
- appropriate triaging of complaints, especially those that are minor or vexatious
- use of transparent performance indicators relating to timeliness in the management of complaints
- parity in timeframes so that practitioners are able to have sufficient and equivalent time to respond to regulators’ requests
- the provision of relevant information throughout the life cycle of a complaint, to allow the practitioner to respond and stay informed
- access to appropriate clinical input and peer review of complaints to provide professional and clinical guidance to inform regulatory decision-making
- the ability to enter into alternative dispute resolution, where appropriate.
For questions and comments, please contact: email@example.com